Thursday, October 30, 2014

Week 11


     This week I read The Fountain, based upon the original script by Darren Aronofsky, which would be turned into a movie a few years later. I remember hearing about the movie years ago, but have little to no recollection of the plot because I wasn't allowed to watch movies when it came out. I didn't realize there was a comic of it and I was even more surprised to hear that it predated the movie.

     First of all, the book was wonderfully painted and expressed the fantastical and spiritual story perfectly. The story is told with three simultaneous story lines using the same main character, and the one in the 1500s directly affects the otherworldly, spiritual story of the dying tree of life hurtling through space. The complexity and maturity of the story coupled with the art was fresh in a literary genre that sometimes falls short in the thinking power of the work. The Fountain really reads like respectable piece of literature and I cannot recommend it enough. 

Interestingly enough, after I finished reading The Fountain, I decided to watch the trailer of the movie and they were nearly identical. I cannot speak for how the book translates to movie as a whole, but it seems that since they use the same script, they are comparable to each other.   

No comments:

Post a Comment