Wednesday, November 12, 2014

week 12 Anya's Ghost



This week I read Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol. I didn't know what to expect when I picked this work up, I just picked it because I wanted something visually interesting and fun to read. This book luckily satisfied that need very well. I loved the art style and the whimsicality of  the whole story. I also enjoyed the point of view from which it was told and how Anya was the underdog and kind of cool loser, sometimes how I like to classify myself actually. The story follows Anya, a high schooler living in New England somewhere. She falls into a hole on the way to school and find bones, which happen to be linked to a ghost. She talks to the ghost and befriends her for a while and promises to help find her killer. As the story progresses, Anya finds out that the ghost, Emily, was not murdered and was actually a murderer who died while trying to escape.

The art reminded me of some modern gothic literature, as well as a slight resemeblence to Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim. Anya is as normal of a high school unpopular kid as you can find, and I quite enjoyed this because I am familiar with that point of view and related to it. I couldn't stop reading and was happy when I finished the book because I loved the story, but I kept wanting to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment