Thursday, November 13, 2014

Promethia by Alan Moore

                              
       Promethia in comic lives inside the "Immateria," a sort of plane of existence inhabited by the gods. She is able to leave and inhabit the imaginations of mortals in the physical realm and manifest herself into a physical form through their imagination. There is a reoccurring symbol of rebirth and manifestation through stories, and how stories are eternal. The comic itself likens Promethia to a story and how a story can be so special that it finds a way to come back over and over again. The idea of rebirth through stories to fight back darkness, much like the Smee that attacks the main character before she becomes Promethia, is quite common and stories can often times fight darkness and sadness.

     I was able to connect with the idea of the eternal story and how darkness can be driven away by a powerful and bright one. The story itself is only just unfolding, so many of the elements are still very new to me. In terms of connecting to a character, I felt the most connection with the original Promethia who lost her father to religious extremists. She wanders the dessert and tries to find the gods that her Father promised would protect her after he sent her away. Since her story was shorter than the main character's, the was more to relate to for me, but I'm sure if I kept reading, I would grow to like the main woman.


I think the most appropriate medium to use, if Promethia were ever adapted, would be a series of animated featured. While reading, I could not imagine the story as a live action movie, especially based on how much would have to be cut. I think a series of episodic animations, much like Bruce Timm's Batman cartoon would work much better, adapting each comic into an episode. This also lends itself to the way that the story is presented, switching between the real and the imagined, as well as the fact that it changes time frame a few times. The ability to stretch and show the same information on screen, such as when She is being told by Barbara about past Promethias, or when she is writing to try to get the Promethia spirit to transfer, would greatly benefit the story and preserve the same vision that Alan Moore wanted. I don't think I would make any changes other than to make sure that what needed to be told would fit into the format, but I don't think anything would be cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment